November 17, 2016

If I Were a Missionary

If I were a sister missionary, I could devour the scriptures and words of the prophets without feeling guilty that I'm neglecting another responsibility, because that would be my job.  I would have a companion who is on the same spiritually life changing journey as I.  We could have conversations about how to implement the teachings of prophets and apostles into our lives.
If I were a sister missionary, I could spend my time serving others and sharing my love for the Savior.  I could help people feel and know their worth.  I could help people to understand and live up to their potential as sons and daughters of God.

If I were a sister missionary, I would have standing weekly appointments to help a sweet bed ridden elderly woman to make progress towards the goals she has set.  I would help her make concrete plans and hold her accountable to her goals. I would revel in the spirit I feel as I sit in that tiny room and feel the outpouring of love as she tells me about her efforts to help others who are less fortunate than she.

I would hold her hand as she tells me her favorite hymns and asks to sing just one more. I would laugh and cry and take in that feeling as a memory because I know it will be over all too soon.  I would be touched as she reaches for my hand to tell me how much it means that I am there, how much she needed the testimony I shared and the light that I have.  I would sit there thinking that I needed to be there with her, just as much as she needed me.

I would walk back into the clear dark night thinking to myself how I could even imagine doing anything else, when the feeling I have is the closest to true happiness that I have ever been.  I would go home to my apartment, feeling accomplished in the things I did that day, but a little disappointed because I know I could do better.  I would kneel at my bedside praying for the ability to be better tomorrow.

I would close my eyes and thank Heavenly Father one last time for the blessings of strength and love he has given me.


But...I'm not a sister missionary.

I AM A MOM.  I AM A PRIMARY WORKER.  I AM A WIFE.  I AM A VISITING TEACHER.  I AM A FRIEND.  I AM A DAUGHTER OF GOD.

I may not have the formal title, I may not be set apart in all the callings I hold, I may not be able to devote every moment I wish to serving Heavenly Father in a formal way, but He's good with informal too.

Christ taught in temples and on hills.  

I teach in Primary rooms and in my car.

I pour my heart out in prayer each morning so that I can have that spiritual guidance I so desperately need as a mother in the world today.  I pray for the patience I need to love my husband as he finds his own path to Christ.  I pray for the ability to fulfill my church calling and know and love each child as He does.  I pray that I have the capacity to feel and give HIS light and love in all that I do.  

and when I fall short, I repent and aim for better.


I may not be a missionary, with a tag on my blouse that says "JESUS CHRIST", but I can represent him in real life.  Real life motherhood is when I sometimes wish I had those missionary skills.  Real life teaching is where I think back and wonder why the heck I didn't give more thought to serving full time.  Then again, real life is where I met my husband, fell in love and had two amazing little boys.  
Missionary life/ Real life neither is perfect or easy.  You have ups and downs, good days and bad, but no matter your mission, you can cultivate a spirit of true happiness in your life as you implement mission actions.
  1. Ponder in silence what Heavenly Father would have you do
  2. Pray for guidance, strength, forgiveness & love
  3. read--STUDY the scriptures and come to know and love the words you read
  4. Write down thoughts and ideas as you feel them
  5. Bear testimony in word and deed
  6. Repeat





I'm not saying that if you do this your life will instantly become easier and all your problems will disappear.  But I can promise you that as you do this, you will be better equipped to handle what life throws your way.  You will be able to manage your roles(whatever they are) better and you WILL no doubt be able to feel the influence, guidance, love and strength of our Savior as you seek HIM.


No comments:

Post a Comment