November 17, 2016

Chicken Sausage Veggie bake

Lately at my house, I'm the only one eating dinner.  Little boys are full from snacking(which, I try not to get mad at because I'm a grazer too) and hubby is home late, or ate hours before and sitll isn't hungry.  Honestly, this has been happening a lot and I stopped making dinner.  I would eat a salad or wrap, do something quick for the kids and if my husband would come home hungry he'd be left wonering where the food was at. I started feeling like a slacker and picked myself up off the pity party floor and found my dinner making groove again.

A few apps that have really helped are called

Our Groceries and Food Planner, check them out if you have need of food organization in your life!

Anyways, onto last nights dinner.  Sunday was planning day, I have all the meals planned out and even got some input from the fam so they would WANT to eat.  

One of the two dishes Charlie requested was this.  I wanna say I got the idea off Pinterest(of course) but it has evolved into it's own thing at our house(like most recipes do).  If you thing the mustard and onion combo sounds weird, just try it, IT IS SOO GOOD!!

You can make this with any combo of root vegetables, and squash that you have on hand, so customize away!

Ingredients:
1 medium onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 TBS coconut oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 TBS yellow mustard


1 package of Aidells chicken sausage(any flavor--pineapple bacon is our favorite)
1 medium zucchini
1 medium sweet potato
1 large yellow or white potato
freshly shredded parmesan cheese


Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Sauté the onion and garlic with coconut oil and both mustards in a large skillet over medium heat until the onions are soft and transparent (about 5 minutes).
  2. While the onion and garlic are sautéing, slice the zucchini, yellow squash, tomato, and potato thinly (1/4-inch slices). Make sure the potatoes are very thin so that they soften quickly while in the oven.  I used my mandolin.  
  3. Coat the inside of an 8x8" casserole dish with non-stick spray. Spread 1/4 of the sautéed onion and garlic mixture in the bottom of the dish. Arrange the other sliced vegetables and sliced sausage(I used whole ones), stacked vertically like dominos, in an alternating pattern. When you run out of room, I shoved any extra little pieces of sausage in any visible empty spaces.  Season the top of the vegetables generously with salt, pepper, and any other spices you really like.  
  4. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese(optional), and bake without the foil for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment