December 30, 2015

How I use coconut oil and why

I have moved my blog to a new home at premeditatedmother.com please visit us!


I just gotta say that I was on the coconut oil bandwagon a long time ago, and people thought I was crazy for putting oil on my face and hair...now look at you, all slathered up! 

I have been using coconut oil for at least 8 years, I saw some girl using it on YouTube, thought she was nuts, then decided to give it a go myself. I had to search high and low for the stuff, it was not as readily available as it is today. I finally found it at a local health food store. The one I bought was by Spectrum. It was unrefined, organic and labeled for skin and hair.

I started using it right away and initially used WAY too much. I felt greasy, and that isn't exactly what I was going for. I finally found that a little goes a long way and began to use it regularly.

I would melt it down, and put it in a squeezy bottle and squeeze out a little. That worked until winter rolled around, then I had to melt it in hot water in the sink. Now I just use it straight out of the tub or jar it comes in. scrape out a little, rub it between your hands to melt and apply.

I used coconut oil during both pregnancies to prevent stretch marks, and it worked miracles! I am a pretty modest person, I don't show off my belly, even at the beach. But, I didn't want stretch marks, I know they are a natural part of having kids, but I am stubborn and refused to get them. I literally slathered my belly and love handles area ever single day of my pregnancies and for about a month after delivery.

I have ZERO stretch marks from my pregnancies!!

Here's a little more info on what to look for when you are buying coconut oil.

Did you know that you should use unrefined coconut oil when using it externally?  It is less processed and therefore bonds better with your cells, increasing the effectiveness of it’s beneficial properties.  

Man, that sounded smart, lol!

If you are cooking with it though, stick with the refined.   You probably don’t want that pungent coconutty flavor in everything you eat.  

Oh, and another thing the whole “virgin” label on coconut oil is not regulated so, that doesn’t matter much either.  Go with “organic” and you will get a good quality.  


Personally, for cooking, I go with whatever refined brand is on sale.  For my skin and hair I usually go with Spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment