February 2, 2017

10 Days of Easy Meal Planning

Here I am finally home from grocery shopping, unloading all my healthy foods(with my husbands goodies mixed in, of course).  I start taking foods out of the bags, putting them away and then it hits me...what the heck am I making for dinner tonight?

You've been there too right?  It's like you have such great ideas for the dinners you can make during the next week or two and yet, you still want to reach for that "In case of emergency" frozen pizza because either you're blanking on what to make or you just don't want to put in an effort.

I have been there far too many times and it kills me to end the week by throwing foods out that have gone bad because I just didn't figure out how to fit them into a meal.  
That's where my meal planning saves me.  I have done a few different methods to meal planning, but it always has a few vital elements that make it successful.


1. Write it down(or type it out)
2. Create a shopping list from meal plan
3. Be flexible
I have gone back and forth with how organized and consistent I am with meal planning, but no matter what I am always glad when I do have a plan...even if I don't stick with it perfectly.  They help me stick with our grocery budget, eat healthier and when my boys ask me "What's for dinner?"  I have an answer.
I am sharing a few of my meal planning techniques with some of my friends & family in a private Facebook group starting next week.  We're going to spend 10 days learning how to make meal planning easy.  I will also be sharing a healthy recipe every day, so you can incorporate it into your own planning.
Click here to request membership to the FREE group or visit tinyurl.com/easymealprep to join in on the meal planning fun with us!  Whether you are experienced and ave your meal planning down, or are spinning your wheels trying to get started, you will find fun, friendship and prizes while participating!!

Here is a sneak peek into the types of recipes I use in my meal planning and will be sharing with the group--->
Tostada Salad
Ingredients:
6-8 medium whole wheat tortillas
3 cups shredded romaine lettuce, chopped kale or shredded cabbage
1 tomato diced(more to liking)
1 avocado sliced(more to liking)
2 Tbs sliced green onions
1/2 cup plain Greek or home made yogurt
1/2 cup shredded cheese(your choice)
1 lb ground beef or turkey cooked and seasoned with taco seasoning
1 can(or equivalent dry mix prepared) re fried beans heated
Vinaigrette-
3 Tbs red wine vinegar
2 Tbs avocado oil
2 tsp honey
1/8 tsp pink salt
2-3 crack fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
dash hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
2. Warm tortillas in microwave for 20-30 seconds until soft and pliable.  Quickly press each one into an oven safe bowl, carefully overlapping the sides if necessary and making the bottom as flat as possible..  Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
3.  While the tortillas are baking prepare lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, beans, corn and green onions.   Depending on the pickyness of your family, mix veggies together or serve buffet style to accommodate different tastes.
4. For the vinaigrette: Place all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously for 1 minute, or hand over to a little tyke to do it for you.  Dressing can be prepared up to several days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
5. When tortillas are done, remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool.  When cooled enough to not burn the littles, place in a bowl to prevent sliding around on a plate and fill with desired toppings.
*recipe adapted from Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment