February 1, 2017

My Happiness Project 2017

A few months ago I stumbled upon a podcast called Happier.  As soon as I started listening, I was hooked.  Every episode made me think, laugh and had me nodding in agreement.  I was intrigued by the prospect of The Happiness Project(authored by the podcast host) which was mentioned on the show a few times and as soon as I had credits available on my Audible account I got the book.  

I listened to it every chance I got(which was pretty much in the car and while doing dishes) and finished the entire book in just under 2 weeks.  I HAD to take on this project for myself.  For the last year or I have been trying to improve ALL aspects of my life.  I wanted to be healthier, stronger, happier, have a better marriage and have a little more freedom financially etc.  In all of this growth and personal development I was finding myself a little jumbled around.  I would focus really hard on work and ignore my family, I would focus really hard on being a good mom and ignore my husband, I would focus really hard on my spirituality and forget my fitness and the circle just kept going round and round.  I could never keep up with EVERYTHING I wanted to do at the same time.

There was a point where I was finding myself upset at my husband ALL the time, and I know now, it was because I was focusing on all of his weaknesses.  I was crying all the time, telling him that I was unhappy and I just couldn't figure out why.  I was doing so many things that bring me happiness, but I was doing them all haphazardly so instead of cultivating happiness, it was draining me of happiness.

I had to stop, reassess and the first place I wanted to focus was my marriage.  I had already started my so called "Happiness Project", I just didn't have a name for it.  My husband and I started making more time for one another and little by little I finally started to feel more fulfilled.  In following Gretchen's journey, I loved the idea of having a resolutions chart and focusing on one area of my life per month, so I decided to create my own chart and progress daily.

I have found that it's in the DOING of simple acts that I have been able to create the most happiness in my life.  I am calling it "Real Life Happying 2017"  feel free to follow my journey in all that adds to my happiness.  I hope along the way you will share your own insights and maybe find a little inspiration to live your very own project!

No comments:

Post a Comment